[Lazarus] Would you like a single button of Lazarus IDE on the taskbar on Linux? (Você gostaria de um único botão da IDE do Lazarus na barra de tarefas no Linux?)

Silvio Clecio silvioprog at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 04:02:19 CEST 2010

On 4/15/2010 13:08, Aleksa Todorovic wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 18:35, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>> On 4/15/2010 05:33, Juha Manninen wrote:
>>> Now, the question is also if a big source file is a bad thing or not. I have
>>> adjusted my way of thinking. The code can be maintained with good tools (like
>>> Lazarus) even in big files.
>>> A big file is of course intimidating for someone who looks at it for the first
>>> time, but so are hundreds of small files.
>> personally speaking, i'd rather wade into one huge file than a forest of many small ones... especially when wading into someone else's code... it is much easier to find the routines in one huge file than it is to have to search many small ones for it and then remember where you were when you started the search ;)
>
> From my experience (looking at code of projects with severals hundred
> thousands loc), if you have good refactoring tools in your development
> environment, size of individual files doesn't matter that much,
> because those tools allow you to have a picture of execution flow as
> well as overall structure in terms of classes, functions, variables
> without need to think of individual files.

agreed to a point... that point being that those tools must exist and one must
have those tools... they didn't exist when i started and, in fact, many
programmers used wordstar as their coding environment... they were quite happy
when programming editors came around that used wordstar commands... they were
even happier because now they could trigger a command that would call up the
compiler and return with the result of the compile...

yes, times have changed but some of us still use the old ways because we know
them... i'm still amazed at what the Lazarus IDE does for me (ie: opening up the
referenced routine) but even with that, it doesn't help me truly learn which
files all the code is in... at least it takes some time and paying much
attention to the window's titles and such...