[Lazarus] editor details

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 22:09:43 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:37:56 +0100
Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

> On 19/04/2010 16:14, spir ☣ wrote:
> > * indentation
> > I set tab&  indent widths to 4 chars.
> > But pressing tab key seems to indent according to a logic I cannot catch, eg
> >
> > function ...
> >           tab stops here: 9 chars
> >
> You may want to turn off "Smart tabs", they indent according to spaces,
> in the line(s) above the cursor.
>
> Also if you are looking at indent, when pressing return:
> - In the options dialog, go to (in the left hand site tree)
> Codetools/General. There are 3 checkboxes regarding indentation here.
> This intentations works by analyzing your source coed, and indent
> depending on the
> context found (e.g indent after "begin" differs from indent on normal line)
> - in the Editor/General settings is  "Auto indent" which always copies
> the indent of the previous line (this has a lower priority than the
> codetool intend)

Right, I played with these settings & I think the guilty one is smart tabs (still don't get how it works).
(Cannot find anything related to ndent in Codetools/General.)

> > * selection highlight
> > I'm unable to have selected text highlighted. Cannot find proper class in syntax highlighting settings.
> > Worse, When I select more than one line, relevant parts of lines (down to the last char) are not highlighted, only empty parts (after last char) get different background color. This is visually disturbing.
> >
> This sounds like you may have set the background color of all chars to a
> fixed color (and maybe they overwrite selection color)?
>
> Editor options / colors
>
> In the tree view of colors, go to "Text" / "text block"
>
> If that does not help, please send your editor options xml file.
> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\lazarus\editoroptions.xml\editoroptions.xml

Yes! The style class I was looking for is "text block". Now, I get a different bg color for the relevant parts and none for the rest of lines.

> > * duplication
> > Is there a "duplicate" feature (duplication current line or selection)?
> > For info: this replaces select + copy + move + paste + move up&  down (to unselect and come back) in one key press.
> >
> If you do any action such as move caret, or paste... The selected text
> should become unselected. unless you use "persistent selection"
>
> without persistend selection this should work
> - select block
> - ctrl-c
> - ctrl-v
> - ctrl-v
>
> with persistent block, I believe it is ctrl-K ctrl-C
> (actually that works for non persistent too)

All right, but what about this feature [geany fans constantly use it and can hardly leave without ;-)]

> you can assign your keys in "Editor"/"Key Mappings" => "Text Selection
> Commands"

Right, did it already in fact. Just miss the feature to which assign ctrl+D (duplication!).

> > * place cursor at end of line
> > When I place the cursor on an empty part of line, the cursor weirdly stays in the middle of nowhere instead of moving to the end of the line (just after last char). Is there a way to change this (for any reason this behaviour gets on my nerves ;-)
> >
> Editor/General:
>
> Disable "caret past end of line"

Thank you! By me it's called "scroll past end of line", maybe the reason why I overlooked it... There is also "cursor beyond end of line" in Codetools/General: I unchecked it before but it does not seems to have any action.

> Note that you still can enter spaces at the end of line. You can enable
> them to be trimmed automatically (by default this only happens if you
> leave the line)
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Editor_Options#Trim_trailing_spaces

Right, I don't use this because I want blank lines in an indented block to be correctly indented as well. I need this feature not to apply to blank lines (meaning be smart enough not to remove *leading* spaces that just happen to be also *trailing*)... there is an option for this in a few editors.

Thank you for all these tips,
Denis

vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com