[Lazarus] editor details

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Apr 21 13:13:11 CEST 2010

On 21/04/2010 11:46, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 21 April 2010 10:44, Michael Van Canneyt<michael at freepascal.org>  wrote:
>
>> But it does have custom draw support for the tabs, which can be used to
>> easily create the button. I do it in my own applications.
>>
> :-) We are talking in circles. Now you suggest exactly what I
> suggested - using custom draw ability.
>
> My suggestion just went a bit further by implementing the whole
> PageControl as a custom drawn component (not just the tabs part). Then
> you remove any platform limitations and the IDE can add features as
> they need it, and all platforms will support those features. Like I
> said earlier, this is only to be used in the IDE because it's a
> specialized tool, that could do with a couple of specialized
> components.

Question: does anyone actually oppose the idea? Or is it just the lack
of someone who actually does it?
Honest question, I haven't followed the discussion that closely, so I do
not know)

And as far as custom drawn tab, or custom drawn full page control => if
no one opposes it, and someone volunteers, start with the tabs, do the
rest if there is a requirement (how much is there to be drawn, other
than the tabs)?

If no one volunteers for now, then it's the usual => nice idea.

Personally, I think that once matured, it can even move into the LCL (or
even the widgetset), system drawn tabs by default, but if you enable
features that your system doesn't have, automatically switch to owner drawn.

But that's just my 2 cent.

> Another example of a specialized (custom drawn) component that the IDE
> could use, is the area dividers used in Environment>  Options>
> Desktop screen. Currently I believe it's a Label (font set to Bold)
> and two Bevel components. That could be written as a custom component,
> and maybe even new functionality added down the line, like
> Expand/Contract a section when clicked, adding gradient support etc.

Yes, they ought to become a Frame, or even a custom component. Again
afaik there is no one opposing to add an IDE-Components package with
special components to be used in the IDE .... => AFAIK

And the same could happen to the drag-able tabs of the source editor =>
they would be nice for find-in-files results too...

Again a question of who and when.

Martin