[Lazarus] SQL parser

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Aug 17 12:12:40 CEST 2010

  On 08/17/2010 11:33 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> If they want to create a number of classes , set some properties, and
> then
> expect an SQL statement to roll out which can be fed to a database,
> then, yes, this will be possible. But IMHO directly writing the SQL
> will be 10
> times faster.
I suppose they would be happy with everything that uses their well known
Pascal paradigms for database access instead of forcing them to write
native SQL code, but does not produce a huge performance degradation.

> If they visually want to drop some tables, specify some field names
> and set
> some conditions, yes, this will also be possible if someone builds a
> visual
> query builder.
Right now, I'm not really involved in this kind of projects, so I only
guess....

I think as a first step issuing a decently qualified "select" and
iterating through the record of the result set with it's multiple items
would be a nice start. Of course the result record would need to include
definable related "relational" results from other tables. Allowing for
(multi-table) updates of such constructed records, including handling of
locking/transactions.

Of course to be really fast you always need stored procedures. I
understand that your work might be used to construct SQL code that could
be used here. An integration in Pascal projects (using a compatible
syntax to the things described above) would be GREAT, but supposedly not
that easy ;).

-Michael