[Lazarus] FPC compiled from latest trunk says version is 2.4.0

Bernd Kreuss prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 21 17:31:08 CEST 2010

On 17.08.2010 01:08, Sérgio Lopes wrote:

> I just compiled FPC from trunk, and though it creates the various folders
> with the name 2.5.1, the binary indicates it's 2.4.0.

For some reason (i think it might be intentional) the "make install"
does not really complete the installation. It puts everything into the
/usr/local/lib/fpc/ sub-folders but it won't update (not even create if
its missing) a symlink in your path that points to the newly installed
ppc386 binary.

I accidentally stumbled upon this very same problem last week, I had a
binary in my path that was from the 2.5.1 branch but some weeks older
which suddenly started to produce strange problems with weird ppu
version mismatches that I had never seen before. I updated the trunk,
compiled and make install and did not notice that I still had this old
ppc386 sitting in my path. I expected make install to make a symlink
and/or replace what ever was there previously so I could instantaneously
use it but it does not touch whatever is already at /usr/bin or
/usr/local/bin, not even if there is nothing at all.

You must *manually* create/update the symlink at /usr/local/bin/ppc386
pointing to the correct binary.

Make sure you don't have any other such old and wrong symlinks elsewhere
lying around anywhere in your path (/usr/bin or ~/bin or wherever else).