[Lazarus] GUI development for web UI

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Dec 1 15:51:01 CET 2010

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

>> The can do the same thing:
>> By default, a fastcgi process is started by the webserver, passing it the
>> socket on which it should listen.
>
> Most imporant difference is that mod_fastcgi is deprecated and doesn't
> follow the FastCGI standard.

In what way doesn't it follow the FastCGI standard ?

>> But mod_fastcgi additionally allows you to specify that the fastcgi process is
>> already running, and that no process should be started. The process can run
>> on the same or on another machine as the Webserver:
>
> What you described here is the FastCGI standard. This way the webserver
> can scale up the amount of connections for each instance of the
> cgi-process.

Can you show me how ?

>>    FastCgiExternalServer D:/counte/verbruik/server -host 127.0.0.1:2015 -idle-timeout 30 -flush
>
> You can configure mod_fcgid also this way, if you want. (Except for
> debugging, I woudn't know why you would do that. And I use the embedded
> webserver for debugging)

How ? I tried, but found no description of how to do this.

That's why I use mod_fastcgi, because the mod_fcgid doesn't offer an
equivalent of FastCgiExternalServer.

>> This is very convenient, because you can start the fastcgi process in the
>> debugger, just as any normal process. Or, the fastCGI process can be a
>> windows service.
>
> Hmm.. windows service could be an idea. But that scales not that easy,
> offcourse.
>
>> Other than that, the configuration option names are different.
>>
>> My FastCGI process is running as a windows service.
>
> What is exactly the reason for this? Isn't it much easier when the
> webserver starts (and stops, when it is not used) the cgi-application,
> than doing this in a Windows service?

I want to control the amount of instances and the exact moment of their
start/stop. I don't want the server to control my application instance.

Michael.