[Lazarus] Message dialogs in Lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 21:21:31 CET 2010

On 18 December 2010 22:56, Sven Barth wrote:

> When they shouldn't happen in trunk then where do you propose them to
> happen?

Exactly my point. Trunk is UNSTABLE - ALWAYS. So how can Vincent or
any other developer think of cutting a "stable release" directly from
Trunk. There is never a "developer/feature freeze" in the Lazarus
project (well not in the last 5 years I have used Lazarus), so new and
unstable changes always get introduced.

Vincent, how does a stable release process work in the Lazarus
project? Do you create a new "feature freeze" branch off trunk, let it
stablize for a few weeks or months with minor bugfix patches, and then
eventually tag that as v0.9.30 release? I know the point releases work
like that, but that is only after a 0.9.x.0 stable release has been
made.

> And no, I won't take "the developer him-/herself should test it good enough"

Excuse me, but that should happen without saying. If you don't, then
something major is wrong in your work process!

> Please Note: I'm talking about pure GUI related code here. In non visual

I'm sorry, but I disagree. GUI code affects the Lazarus project just
as much as non-GUI code in the Lazarus project. eg: Kill the GUI
TTreeview component, and the whole LCL and Lazarus IDE is unusable. So
I have no idea why you would even consider not testing GUI related
code changes, and thinking it is less important than non-GUI code
changes. GUI and non-GUI changes are equally important, and should
always be test thoroughly by the developer making that change.

  - Graeme -