[Lazarus] Message dialogs in Lazarus

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Dec 20 10:44:19 CET 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>> What is needed is a comprehensive test suit that covers all features of
>> Lazarus.
>
> Testsuites are the favourite knee-jerk solution for stability problems, but
> it is a lot harder if the project is visual, and/or the spec is constantly
> evolving.
>
> I sometimes wonder how many people recommending regression testing actually
> did so on a non trivial scale.

Well, I do so, but never for visual stuff.

I consider that impossible in practice and probably even in theory.

Example: Write a unit test that tests that in a treeview,
the selected node actually is displayed with the bitmap
indicated by SelectedIndex property of the node.

Or:
Write a unit test that tests that in a MessageDialog, the correct image is
displayed on the buttons.

I'd really like to see those tests :-)

Lazarus IMHO has the best testsuite ever:
An active community that points out bugs as soon as they pop up.

Michael.