[Lazarus] Reconstructing Lazarus Website 2: the content

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 00:26:25 CET 2010

Klenongan schrieb:

> And here's mine, with more 'elegant' touch to it. I use large fonts
> and white overall to make a neutral appearance --as I don't know
> Lazarus' "color"--. The page uses less text as possible on the front
> page, inspired by Mercurial, VLC, Wordpress website so that new
> visitors wont be overwhelmed by it.
>
> Preview:
> http://xs.to/image-FAED_4B6973FF.jpg
> http://xs.to/image-63BB_4B6973FF.jpg

Looks very nice :-)

At a first glance I found these issues:

For sombody unfamiliar with Lazarus, I'd describe it like this:
"Lazarus is a software development system..."

The second "What Is Lazarus?" should have been answered above, should
read "More Information" or "Want to Know More?".

With "Developers" is unclear whether the development of Lazarus or of
applications is meant. Asking for contributions IMO should not occur on
the entry page.

I'd classify typical hits on the main page into:

- hey, what's this? (anybody)
- somebody told me about Lazarus, I want to know more about it
- using Lazarus: looking for resources (libs...), updates, docs, news,
channels
- want to use Lazarus also on/for a different platform

Less frequent occasions, perhaps from the IDE menu:
- have a problem: need assistance, want to report an bug (Support)
- want to contribute: in general, specific bugfix (Contributions)

> Source:
> http://rapidshare.de/files/49097065/lazweb.zip.html
>
> The image at the front page taken from a National Geography wallpaper
> featuring Cheetah. I cant find any quality image featuring a Cheetah,
> so I use that one. It might be copyright encumbered but feel free to
> use a substitute like screenshot of Lazarus in action, uncopyrighted
> Cheetah image, etc.

Searching for good images with an acceptable (free) license can take
much time.

> The texts are obviously mockup, I just want to show the design and to
> engage others in discussion to this design. Any feedback would be
> appreciated.

I hate "Best viewed" footers, they only indicate that the developer
*knows* about possible (platform specific) problems, but does *not care*
about such visitors.

DoDi