[Lazarus] Reconstructing Lazarus Website 2: the content

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Thu Feb 4 06:24:25 CET 2010

> I think these pictures are under CreativCommons
> http://animalphotos.info/a/topics/animals/mammals/cheetahs/
> http://www.piqs.de/schnelluebersicht/search/gepard/

Is it just me or are there others that would agree that using real life
animal pictures are just plain cheezy? (Well, the current Lazarus logos
with cheetahs on pillars, accompanied by other floating Delphi-inspired
symbols are infinitely worse, I must admit).

It seems a significant portion of open source projects pick some animal,
almost as some type of "mascot", and that is cool. There isn't one
example, however, that I can think of where such website looks like some
page on National Geographic. From penguins to tortoises to bats, they
all have a smallish and tastefully done emblem (nearly always
cartoon-like) of their chosen animal, usually sitting non-intrusively in
the top left corner of the site. I vote for simply using the "paw"
(/images/splash_source/paw.png). It is a beautiful piece of artwork.

A related topic that's been bothering me: can we please discuss a name
change for Lazarus as well? It's not like a name change will hurt the
project at this stage, methinks...

Regards,

Paul.