[Lazarus] Name "Free Pascal Compiler & Lazarus"

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:41:31 CET 2010

Juha Manninen wrote:

> Even Delphi changed the language name from Object Pascal to Delphi, for
> marketing reasons and to avoid confusion.

I personally hated this change and it was very confusing in Kylix
documentation. Everybody knew "delphi" as the IDE, then in Kylix there was
references to "delphi" too, but that was a Windows product whereas Kylix is
a Linux project. Bla, bla, bla... you get the point.

Please don't do the same thing as Borland did. Keep the language that Free
Pascal uses as "object pascal".

As for the combined name "Free Pascal Compiler & Lazarus" - personally that
is not confusing at all to me. After all, they are separate projects. With
a little (some) effort, who knows, maybe Lazarus IDE could use the new
cross-platform compiler that Embarcadero is going to release in the future
and FPC.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/