[Lazarus] Reconstructing Lazarus Website 2: the content

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Feb 9 09:06:58 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 02:30:47PM +0200, Paul van Helden wrote:

> Well, I like it. Animals are not common as mascots for commercial
> software and to me, personally, shows that you're dealing with a
> community (warm, friendly) instead of a corporate entity (cold, greedy).

We already have an animal. Just not a cartoony one.

> I don't know if it all started with the Gnu or Tux and everyone else
> just jumped onto the idea, but it clearly resonates with the open source
> culture on some level. Have a look at this huge collection of open
> source mascots: http://chl.be/mascots/

In recent times, a lot of larger projects have moved away from this to more
corporate logos (e.g. the BSDs), and only entertain the mascot on the side

> Just because something is common for some culture doesn't make it
> un-cool. I think trying to be different just for the sake of being
> different is un-cool. Nobody says you have to go and copy someone (like
> the Delphi pillar, etc, has been copied in the Lazarus splash...)

See the above gallery. Blending in pedigree or taking bits of pieces of sister
projects is perfectly alright. And that is exactly what Lazarus does.

> It is a real pity about Jack Wolfskin, but I'd still go for the paw and
> refrain from making T-Shirts with it (or at least have the T-Shirts made
> by someone who cannot be sued :-) ). A big cat's paw print is the
> ultimate emblem of stealth and speed IMHO, since you never see the
> bugger ;-)

I think in the case we really should change, something potentially
encumbered is not an option.