[Lazarus] TurboPower OnGuard changes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:29:42 CET 2010

zeljko wrote:

> hm... I think that such info in dev depends on kernel version and udev, so
> such thing can have problems on older distros.

My answer to that is.... Linux is free, UPGRADE! :-) This is exactly what I
tell people about FPC, Lazarus and fpGUI too. With a kernel upgrade, you
also get many security fixes and newer hardware support - which is all
important reasons to upgrade.

> such info. Of course there's always direct kernel ctl call to disk (but then
> you have to be logged as root) and read disk id.
> So conclusion is that Fedora, CentOS & Mandriva provides such info.

The VERY important point is that I need to be able to get the information
without root access, otherwise it is fairly easy (as root - but pointless).

I did a Google search for each of the big distro names with the string
'/dev/disk/by-id/' and all of them came back with hits. So yes, I think all
modern distros support what I need. Finally something I can work with. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/