[Lazarus] TurboPower OnGuard changes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 08:04:51 CET 2010

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> In the past days I had to replace my old CRT, and now I have left no
> working Linux, only Vista made the change without problems. SuSE 10.3
> has lost its X configuration, 11.2 probably caused more damage to all
> Linux drives with disk "checks" (and repairs), now doesn't find its
> kernel any more, Ubuntu cannot use the second monitor any more, and
> Kubuntu looses the desktop configuration on every new boot :-(

All that by replacing your monitor???  Wow, that must be some special
monitor. :-)

I maintain 6 Linux systems and 3 VM systems. 6 work stations and 3 servers.
The servers run the Ubuntu LTS releases and upgrade from one to the next
using apt. No problems so far and no reinstall required. Ubuntu seem pretty
good at this as long as you stay with LTS releases only.

The workstations, I prefer not to "upgrade", but rather reinstall when a
new stable Ubuntu is releases. For Ubuntu desktop, I normally use every
second release (every six months is to quick for me). I always split my
hard drive into 4 partitions (/, /home, /opt, swap) and when I reinstall I
backup the 'etc' directory first, then format the '/' partition and
reinstall. So all my custom installed software like FPC, Lazarus, MSEide
etc live in /opt so they are not affected at all. All my custom settings,
data, source code etc are in /home, and is not affected either. So a
reinstall is a 30 minute job and I'm up and running like I was before with
all my previous applications intact. Config settings are restored very
easily from my backed-up 'etc', if the new Ubuntu install did not detect
them automatically.

> Fortunately my VM's continue to work :-)

VM's are a pleasure to work with! The best thing since sliced bread. ;-) I
actually have a fully functional development system setup in a VM. So if
anything hardware wise has to fail on my development system, I can switch
to another system, install VirtualBox and load my VM. I'll be up and
running in 10 minutes and coding as usual.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/