[Lazarus] fpGUI package

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 17:41:57 CET 2010

On 13 February 2010 12:25, patspiper <patspiper at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where is Graeme #99 when you need him? :)

I tried the "Dummies guide to cloning yourself", but got some strange
side-effects. The cloning project has now been put on hold. ;-)

> I do not have a lot of time on my hands, but can nevertheless help provided
> I get a few tips (as in hints and not what waiters get).

I'm more than willing to help out on the fpGUI side, it's the LCL
internals that I know nothing about.

> What components does fpGUI boast until now?

Here is a list of the top of my head (I might have missed a few more).

    * Button (with image, flat look and group button support)
    * Label
    * Bevel
    * Panel
    * Group Box
    * Radio Buttons
    * Check Boxes
    * Track Bar (aka Slider)
    * Track Bar Extra (variation in look and function of standard track bar)
    * Page Control (aka Tab Control)
    * Page Sheet (aka Tab Sheet)
    * List Box
    * Color List Box
    * Scrollbars
    * Memo
    * Forms (Windows). Normal, Modal and Popup.
    * Dialogs
          o ShowMessage()
          o Font Selection dialog
          o File Open...
          o File Save As...
          o Directory Select
          o Color select
          o About Dialog
          o Message Dialog (info, question, error)
          o Input/Prompt dialog
          o New Directory dialog
          o DB Login dialog
    * Text Edit
    * Currency Edit
    * Integer Edit
    * Float Edit
    * Combo Box (aka Choice List)
    * Edit ComboBox
    * Grids (aka Tables)
          o Base Grid
          o Custom Grid
          o Draw Grid
          o String Grid
          o File Grid
    * Progress Bar
    * List View (partially implemented)
    * Main Menu bar and Popup Menus
    * Treeview
    * Calendar control
    * Calendar Combo Box
    * Gauge (pie, needle, horizontal, vertical, text and dial)
    * Color ComboBox
    * Splitter
    * Color wheel
    * Value bar (normally used with color wheel)
    * Rich Textview
    * TextEdit (something like SynEdit but still work-in-progress)
    * Basic Theme/Style manager
    * Animation control (something like animated gifs)
    * HyperLink label
    * MRU (most recently used files) Manager
    * DBLabel (just as a demo that DB components can be created)
    * Spin Edit
    * Spin Edit Float
    * Hint window

Damn, the list has grown... :)
So I think fpGUI covers most used components which should make a
LCL-fpGUI widgetset pretty usable. fpGUI also tries to offer the
complete "developer suite" which includes: components (listed above),
UI Designer (forms designer), documentation/help reader (DocView) and
Installation/Setup tool (fpgInstall).

> You have done an excellent job with fpGUI. I hope it materializes someday as
> a full LCL widgetset.

I'm sure it will, as soon as my "paid work" doesn't keep me so busy.

  - Graeme -