[Lazarus] Strip problems

JoshyFun joshyfun at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:26:26 CET 2010

Hello Lazarus-List,

Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 4:00:03 AM, you wrote:

>> Before releasing an exe, as it is quite easy operation, but since a
>> few weeks (maybe some months) strip can not remove all "extra"
>> information in the exe file.
PI> I'd suggest to use -Xg option. You will have no debug symbols in the
PI> executable but have them in a separate file for gdb only. This way you
PI> can just take your exe for releasing.

Maybe it's time to do so. I was not using it because it does not work
around one year in the past, but now it seems to work.

PI> I must admit that strip indeed does not work for my executables with
PI> dwarf debug info.

Try this:

strip program.exe --remove-section=.debug_info --remove-section=.debug_abbrev
      --remove-section=.debug_line --remove-section=.debug_frame

I can not test now as I come back to stabs because linking time in
dwarf is more than double time than stabs and in large executables it
is very notizable when you are using "test-error" debug technique :)

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun