[Lazarus] Syntax highlighters for SynEdit

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 19:52:27 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>>
>> The highlighter does much more than simply highlight words and can be
>> incredibly powerful if you want to make it so.
>

> OK, so the unit names is then very misleading. The synhighlighter*.pas
> files are not just about pretty colors, it's actually about editor features
> too. That would explain the complexity then. I didn't know this. Thanks for
> the info.
>

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -

You're comparing a static parser vs configurations for dynamic
parsers; the latter will always be smaller. See UniSyn syntax files
(even though they're XML!)
A dynamic parser was something always wanted for SynEdit, and it's
original author (Martin Waldenburg) even a basic parser/lexer but
nobody ever completed the integration and a configuration file nor a
higher-level API. UniSyn is a dynamic parser, but it has some
limitations, some bugs, and it uses a bit more memory than it should
(and I'm not even sure lazarus' version is up-to-date).

Best regards,
Flávio