[Lazarus] debug windows layout

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:40:09 CET 2010

2010/2/27 Flávio Etrusco <flavio.etrusco at gmail.com>:
> All this docking talk is nice and everything, but sometimes I ask if
> shouldn't just go SDI for Lazarus IDE. I found it odd at the
> beginning, but after using several other SDI IDEs now I can't find
> reasoning in Delphi-old MDI...

I think you meant other way round. :-) Old Delphi 7 and earlier used
SDI interface by default. MDI (multi-document interface) is one big
outer window with multiple other windows embedded inside that parent
window. Most IDE's seem to go the MDI route. My problem with MDI is
the form designer. In such IDE's you can only see the code, or only
the Form Designer - not both. :-(  For this single reason I prefer SDI
layout, but then the IDE must support some form of docking to minimize
the amount of windows the developer needs to manage - and reduce the
taskbar item count.

  - Graeme -