[Lazarus] Kylix 3 Open Edition

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:03:22 CET 2010

Hi,

For those users that want to browse Kylix 3 IDE (for whatever reason)
- maybe to port one or more features to Lazarus IDE (lets think
positive), or to compare and see how great Lazarus IDE has become. Or
to compare the Kylix compiler to the Free Pascal compiler for
compatibility reasons etc.  I have made my copy of Kylix 3 Open
Edition available to everybody. I included in the archive my
activation file and some unofficial fixes.

Kylix 3 Open Edition is the freely available one for GPL based
software development. I still see numerous requests for Kylix 3 Open
Edition on various internet forums - though I always recommend FPC and
Lazarus to them. I couldn't find any active location on the internet
to download Kylix 3 OE, so looked through my old archive CD's and
found it. I also emailed Borland and Embarcadero, because you cannot
use Kylix 3 OE if you don't activate it, and the activation URL
mentioned in the Kylix 3 product doesn't exist any more - but neither
Borland nor Embarcadero has the facility any more to activate the
product (no surprise there) - hence the reason I made my activation
file available too.

This is they typical reason I HATE any activation software - perfectly
legal software that becomes useless because the vendor went out of
business or the product got discontinued. Also, SourceForge.net has
numerous projects developed with Kylix 3 OE, but cannot continue any
more because Kylix 3 OE is not available for download.

If you ever need a copy, email me in private and I'll send you the
download URL. It's about a 97MB download. If anybody knows of a more
public location I can upload this file to, please let me know - I have
a serious limit on internet bandwidth.

Borland cannot complain - Kylix 3 Open Edition was free for all to
start with. I purchase Kylix 3 Pro and Kylix 3 Enterprise from them
(though these copies or not for public download obviously) so they
already got my money (and what a waist it was). I hate to see projects
like on SourceForge wither and die because the development tools are
not available for download.

  - Graeme -