[Lazarus] Groundwork for Undo in Form Designer

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 13:11:45 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 21:52, Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:
> If I work with this feature I need my patches applied in steps. I have seen
> that Lazarus SVN gets many patches every day. Development is incremental.
> I don't want to build some isolated big patch either, which might finally get
> rejected because it clashes with the project's architecture in some way I
> didn't notice.
> I understood from Mattias Gärtner's mail that he is busy. Is there anyone else
> that could check IDE related patches?
>
> Currently I would have both time and motivation for open source stuff. Things
> can change if I get a new job or if my studies become more demanding.

I have experienced the same frustration many times.
Unfortunately, Lazarus uses centralized version control, which
effectively prevents
non-core developers from developing sizeable features in reasonable time.

Still, there is a hope for you -- Lazarus has a Mercurial and Git mirrors:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/How_To_Help_Developing_Lazarus#Git_or_Mercurial_mirrors

I advise to use one of them and prepare your feature as a series of patches.
This way, you do not have to wait for every patch, but for the whole series,
which is much more tolerable.

--
Alexander S. Klenin