[Lazarus] Groundwork for Undo in Form Designer

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 22:35:05 CET 2010

2010/1/17 Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:
> completely meaning and useless output like "Updating a3bdad8..fad6345".

It's all in the mind - looking at projects like KDE etc r350575 also
doesn't tell me much plus you can't even use such large revision
numbers as a Windows build number (like many people like to do)
because it exceeds the build number value limit. Git generated patches
or Git extracting patches from emails or alternative referencing of
commits like (HEAD^ or HEAD~15 or '2 weeks ago' etc) makes it just as
easy to reference a commit - that's if you really have a mental block
against using shortened SHA1 values. I've been using Git for almost a
year now and really don't see the issue - yes it was strange in the
beginning coming from SubVersion, but that was simply because I was
used to incremental numbers. With a DSCM incremental numbers simply
cannot be used - something else is required. SHA1 fits the bill
perfectly and provides other information to.

> For a small project, I tried once mercurial and learned that it is much
> more work. One easily gets lost with all those cloned repositories none

Probably because Mercurial uses separate directory trees for each
branch - Git uses the same directory structure for all branches. Also
if you don't name your "feature" branches descriptively, the confusion
is your own fault, not the product. Also Git works equally well in
small and large projects, single and multiple developer teams.

> nothing does prevent users from committing and pushing a full diff due
> to f.... up line feeds.

Like SubVersion is immune to that! I constantly have to fix EOL meta
information or patch a file simply to fix EOL characters in files -
all this in SubVersion repositories. (yes I still work on project that
use SubVersion) If SubVersion developers don't setup there SVN clients
correctly, they can just as easily commit files with incorrect EOL
characters.

  - Graeme -