[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Jonathan winelauncher.jonathan at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:33:29 CET 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:31:14 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>You wouldn't believe! :-)  I have spent the last two days working on this
>and think I finally found a solution that works 99.9% of the time. Just
>getting nested menu items to work under Linux was a huge pain (in contrast,
>Windows was so easy).
The is no frame work under Windows for the menu, just files thats why you have silly company's listing there program under there name.
The first time I used Linux I loved the clean easy to use menu in gnome the windows menu is one big mess.

> eg:
>   Applications
>   +-- My Company            <-- this being the difficult part
>       +-- My Project
>       |   + My executable
>       |   + Help
>       |   + Uninstall
>       +-- My Second project
>           + My executable
>           + Uninstall
You are thinking windows!
Do not put your company name or uninstaller in the Applications menu.
No one gives a damn about your company name if someone wants to know who made the program the is a about box for that.
E.g, if your first program was a game but your 2nd program was a graphics program then it's better to each program under the right category.
Hand over the source and let the Linux distro do their job!

Windows does not equal Linux. Think Windows for Windows, Think Linux for Linux or you will upset alot of people.

>Obviously the setup.sh script is not required if you split your
>installation in 32/64-bit or GUI/non-GUI setup directories.
The only useful thing I can add to thread is check uname -m in your setup.sh then start the right installer.
I'm sure you know but sh is not always bash. Mixing up bash with sh is good way to upset 10% of your users.