[Lazarus] PropEdits.TGetStringProc duplicated Classes. TGetStrProc

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Jan 23 02:46:41 CET 2010

On 1/21/2010 06:01, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:00:27 +0100
> Hans-Peter Diettrich<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>  wrote:
>
>> waldo kitty schrieb:
>>
>>> ok... thanks for that... i was unaware that type "string" was an alias
>>> for "ansistring"... i had thought that "string" was the same as the old
>>> borland "string" definition (ie: array of chars with the [0] element
>>> containing the string length) ;)
>>
>> In newer Delphi versions (2009+) "string" is "UnicodeString", that's why
>> using "AnsiString" will reduce possible confusion of people, who use
>> Delphi and Lazarus concurrently.
>>
>> string[n] is "ShortString", even in the new Delphi versions.
>
> string is ansistring in lazarus sources since 10 years. I guess, most
> lazarus users are used to it.

i understand but i (among others) am a new lazarus user trying to become
familiar with no real and easily read and understood documentation or books...
yes, everyone says to use a basic delphi book but even that runs into problems
when routines are different names or replaced by something else... i won't even
mention things like "use this widget from this panel" and the widget and/or
panel don't exist or are named differently... believe me, i've tried and i
cannot count the number of books i've returned because they were useless to me
when trying to learn laz/fpc :?