[Lazarus] Powered by - Logo

Michael Fuchs freepascal at ypa-software.de
Sun Jan 24 18:37:17 CET 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> 2010/1/23 Mike Parr <mikeparr at live.com>:
>> It seems to me that this is a major package, but it has (to my mind) zero
>> prominence on the web.
>
> Being a Delphi user too, I used to mention Lazarus and Free Pascal to
> people in the Embarcadero newsgroups that complain about things like
> "delphi doesn't have cross platfrom support", "kylix is dead, so what
> do we us now" etc...
>
> But apparently I pissed of way to many people doing that,

Of course, I had the same experience. OTOH you'll get many complaints
about what's not working as expected in Lazarus, what could serve to
assign priorities to the development items.

>> 2.  When one eventually finds a link to it, this link goes straight to  a
>> forum page.
>
> This has been bugging me for age too. The link from the Free Pascal
> page should take users to the Lazarus wiki site instead. The standard
> Lazarus Website is definitely not a "product" page, but just a
> location for the forums. Which I also think should be closed and users
> should rather merge with the mailing list discussions. Having to many
> options of where to ask questions is also not a good thing.

Right. In most cases the Search fields lead to forum entries, not to any
real documentation. The Embarcadero pages are in similar disorder, but
for other reasons.

>> 4.  No info on how many users, downloads, use on projects  (i.e no Advert)
>
> Download count is managed and found on Lazarus SourceForge project
> page. "use on projects", documentation, hints, etc are all on the Wiki
> page.
>
> Not even the Lazarus LCL class documentation or the IDE
> Help/Documentation is available on the Lazarus website. So "official"
> Lazarus website should rather be the Wiki.

+1

The documentation (online help) deserves much more work, before it can
be presented to the public. I'm swapping between updating the help and
the help editors...

DoDi