[Lazarus] FCL-Web and new WebDesign packages

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:57:56 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:30:28PM +0100, Adrian Veith wrote:
>
>> because Pascal is not as well suited for dynamic languages and
>> environments -

Do you mean scripting languages like JavaScript?  If this is the case
than you should know that there are pascal based scripting utilities
for server side scripting.

> It has variant, dispatch interfaces, and can interface with such
> environments if need be. But the question is if that is really neccessary or
> applicable to webapps.

None if it is.  I'm speaking from experience when I say all that is
needed is good AJAX experience for designing the front-end.  I don't
see pascal overtaking JavaScript anytime soon as it's not needed.  No
need to re-invent the wheel.  Javascript with Prototype does the job.

>> I use pascal since 30 years for my every day development
>> and love it - but IMHO for web programming, it is more productive to
>> have a dynamic language

I agree.  A widely adopted scripting language (JavaScript) is required
for real-time web applications.  But let's not confuse back-end
development with front-end applications over the Internet - which will
always require some sort of interpreting and/or dynamic code
execution.

> Care to explain? I don't see the need for this at all.
>> it is the nature of websites.
>
> I don't see this either.

For my back end I use a Social computing platform that supports serves
the back-end and provides the client side with feature rich
applications over the Internet using HTTP.  Front-Ends are provided to
web-browser utilizing javascript and the app makes calls back to the
server that processes via compiled "core" objects.  Each core object
executes with minimal interpretation.

Feature rich client-server application over the Web requires many
different technologies.  And FPC will never be a catch all one shot
solution...  unless it builds an execution environment, and that is
extremely out of the scope of anything I've seen so far.

> SNIP >>>> There is IMHO nothing inheritly untyped or dynamically typed in webprogramming, save tradition.

The only insight I have to offer is to refer you to see JavaScript prototyping.