[Lazarus] [Fwd: Re: Is Lazarus a Delphi plagiat?]

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Sat Jan 30 17:53:06 CET 2010

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am Freitag 29 Januar 2010 23:36:02 schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
>> IMO a good add-on to the "Lazarus is invisible?" thread.
>>

> I think a great problem for many of those people in this thread comes from the
> fact that (as they state) try it from time to time. That means, that they
> probably have environmentoptions.xml in their users dir from the previous
> install, which then still points to (now) wrong locations.
>
> I have a proposal for this: how about the environmentoptions.xml contains the
> last-used-version of lazarus that wrote that file. I lazarus loads and finds
> that the version is different from its own (expected) version, it could
> perform a small self-test: if paths in that file don't exist anymore, it could
> look in the default environmentoptions.xml (which the windows installer for
> example puts in the install directory afaik) and see if that would fix it.
> Additionaly it could ofcourse warn the user that paths were just modified and
> that it might be due to still having that file from an older install.

I just installed 0.9.29 with FPC 2.4x a couple of days from the snapshots pages
and it saw that I had had lazarus previously installed in a different directory
with previous entries for fpc/source, etc that were incorrect and prompted me to
either keep it or change it so that was nice.

I still use Delphi as my primary development platform, but use Lazarus for a
couple of non-gui projects and I've noticed a great improvement over the last
two years especially.  The IDE looks better now and works better too with many
of the features I've come to rely on in latter Delphi versions such as Lazarus'
own version of live templates, refactoring facilities, etc.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee