[Lazarus] Parser

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 13:55:43 CEST 2010

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:

>> I am not sure about the 'slightest advantage' aspect: I thought MS sold
>> the .Net thing mostly on the premise of 'write in the language you're
>> most comfortable yet share with others you/they find useful';
>
> Exactly, "sold". It's marketing speech. You could use any language but
> only to a degree of maybe 95%. So everybody decided to use C#.

Diabolic hint: why should Free Pascal users be bound to the Delphi OPL
syntax, even with "mode FPC" extensions? When the use of another
language or dialect could eliminate a couple of problems, like the never
ending discussion about the proper formatting of the source code, or the
export of any number of basically unit-specific declarations, required
by the "uses" and interface/implementation model. The occurence of
circular unit references IMO can be reduced a lot, when only the really
exported declarations can be reduced by more fine-grained syntactical
means (Oberon "*" attribute).

What were so bad when the users, coming from e.g. Delphi, will find out
that the Modula or Oberon language will fit their expectations much
better than the crappy Delphi or derived FPC syntax?

And what about an Objective-C front-end, that will perfectly match the
Sun requirements for iPad etc. applications?

DoDi