[Lazarus] Lazarus control wrapper for Scintilla - SciTE clone using Lazarus

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 13:31:07 CEST 2010

Ok. Scintilla?

Scintilla and Synedit are are  mulit-line editing with syntax
highlighting for more than 120 language, applications, compilers,
scripts, etc. SciTE can runs these compiler, scripts and apps.

Almost of nice IDE's use Scintilla e.g. Programmers notepad,
notepad++, Komodo Edit and more.

Most of these free editors use Scintilla
http://jaypeeonline.net/freeware/free-text-editors-i/

Copy from http://www.scintilla.org/

Scintilla is a free source code editing component. It comes with
complete source code and a license that permits use in any free
project or commercial product.

As well as features found in standard text editing components,
Scintilla includes features especially useful when editing and
debugging source code. These include support for syntax styling, error
indicators, code completion and call tips. The selection margin can
contain markers like those used in debuggers to indicate breakpoints
and the current line. Styling choices are more open than with many
editors, allowing the use of proportional fonts, bold and italics,
multiple foreground and background colours and multiple fonts.

The SinkWorld project investigates possible future directions for
Scintilla to make it more flexible, robust, perform better and run on
the .NET and Java virtual machines.

SciTE is a SCIntilla based Text Editor. Originally built to
demonstrate Scintilla, it has grown to be a generally useful editor
with facilities for building and running programs. It is best used for
jobs with simple configurations - I use it for building test and
demonstration programs as well as SciTE and Scintilla, themselves.

Development of Scintilla started as an effort to improve the text
editor in PythonWin. After being frustrated by problems in the
Richedit control used by PythonWin, it looked like the best way
forward was to write a new edit control. The biggest problem with
Richedit and other similar controls is that they treat styling changes
as important persistent changes to the document so they are saved into
the undo stack and set the document's dirty flag. For source code,
styling should not be persisted as it can be mechanically recreated.
Please read these links.

Synedit vs Scintilla
Please click to read
http://www.delphigroups.info/2/4/261087.html

SciTE clone in Lazarus would enriched the us future generation to run
hundred of console apps (e.g. python, java, c/c++ compiler, r package,
matlab, gnuplot, awk, bash, etc  in all platform.

Let me if you want more. I can search the net for more info.

Noli