[Lazarus] TreeView with columns

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Jul 14 16:51:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:53:32 +0300
Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:

> > What burden?
>
> The burden of installing VirtualTreeView I guess.
> However I will not use VirtualTreeView for Lazarus now. Later it could be done
> especially because the assembly code seems not to be a problem and the license
> is OK, too.

IMO the converter should be installed by default, because Delphians
expect a converter from Lazarus. And if it is installed by default (as
part of the IDE or bigIDE), then all needed things must be in the
lazarus svn. And as Vincent wrote if it is in the lazarus svn it must
be maintained.

I think you have several choices:
- use a grid and extend it
- use a TTreeView and extend it
- write an extension of TTreeView for lazcontrols with a simple column
- extend TTreeView for columns
- use VTV and put converter or parts of it as separate package in
  examples (it can not be used in bigIDE)
- use VTV and maintain it in the lazarus svn

As you are the implementor it is your choice, but I guess many users
will be disappointed if the converter is no longer preinstalled.

> > It should be installed by default like todolist and others.
> > What is the gain of making it a package?
>
> I don't see any real gain if it is installed by default, but isn't it the same
> thing with other packages installed by default (like ToDoList)?

The todolist was made a package because it was hardly maintained and
some users said they would write a better one and would like to
replace it. So far I didn't see the better one, not even a start of it.
Because the same guys now talk about splitting another IDE part, I
tend to disagree.

Mattias