[Lazarus] Zipped binary snapshot for Windows

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Jul 18 17:19:05 CEST 2010

On 18/07/2010 13:54, Sven Barth wrote:
> Hi together!
>
> I have a question/suggestion:
>
> Would it be possible to create zipped versions of the binary Lazarus
> snapshots for Windows (equally to the installer versions, but without
> the installer).
>
> My reason is this: Sometimes I want to test a newer version of Lazarus
> maybe even with the different supported compilers. It bugs me a bit
> that I either need to "make" one myself (I don't have a real problem
> with building from source, but it takes time...) or I screw the
> "uninstaller registration" of my stable version by running the
> snapshot's installer. Thus I'd prefer a "download, unzip, test,
> remove" approach which is only available with a primitive installation
> from a Zip file.

Not all that unproblematic as it sounds....

(Afaik) The installer also set's up the initial path structure
(including pathes in fpc.cfg ?). And without them nothing works.

Well it will work for you, since you already have a working setup, and
since your 2nd installation, uses the fpc from your first installation
(as this is what's in your setup/config files).
Note that config files are in a global location in the user's home folder.

If a new user, who hasn't Lazarus yet, would download the Zip (and some
one will, because they think, it's easier to test it that way, and you
can just delete it, no uninstall needed...), then it will not work.

As for your case: Never mind if you install, or unzip, or build yourself
=> sharing one config dir between multiply Lazarus installations calls
for trouble of it's own (e.g. different packages compiled in / lcl
compiled with different fpc version, ...). Use:  --primary-config-path=

Martin