[Lazarus] Tutorial Compiling/installing FPC and Lazarus from Sources of SVN

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Fri Jul 23 14:01:52 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:05:51 -0400
waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:

> yes, i understand what you are saying however, remember that the point i'm
> coming from is from that of the "average joe coder" who has no need of
> understanding all the deep intricacies of everything...

Now seriously.
There are many much smarter people on this list than me. I am doing pascal coding only as a hobby. I don't have any programming/computer related degree. I don't understand all and everything of building a cross-compiler, but it only took me about 2 hours from not knowing where to start to a working cross-compiler.
If that is to much for "average joe coder" then perhaps "average joe coder" should really switch to something like Java.
Building a cross-compiler is not that hard. It takes some dedication and time. But it looks likes people are just lazy. Don't want to know, don't want to learn, always crying: "Give me the ready made stuff!"
To me this sounds like the attitude of an end user and not that of a coder.
No offence ment, but I really don't get it. We are coders after all. Learning and understanding makes a great part of this. Even learning stuff that you maybe don't need that often or ever again.
Anyone interested in my CP/M knowledge? No? Thought so.
Again, I don't believe that I am much smarter than "joe". So if I can do it, he can do it, too.
I really don't want to offend anyone, I just don't understand this attitude. If you call yourself a coder, regardless of skill, setting up your environment is your task. And you have documentation and a great community that helps. What do you need more?
Yes, sometimes it sucks, that things are a little complicated but such is life.

R.