[Lazarus] "show declaration hints" has more power in it than is really used

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Jul 23 16:30:42 CEST 2010

  On 07/23/2010 04:01 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> There is already a tool to see all public declaration: View
> CodeBrowser. It does not only list all public declarations of RTL and
> LCL, but all FPC packages, your project and all used packages.
> Depending on your platform there are about 200 thousand identifiers and
> collecting them takes a few seconds to several minutes (speed
> mainly depends on your disk speed).
> It is invoked for example when you right click on a compile message
> 'identifier xyz not found'.

While this is an absolutely great feature, I feel that it's not
intuitive (especially for new users) that you need to compiler the
source code before getting help on a function he wants to use but does
nit know where to locate..

> F1 should not only show declarations but also topics. F1 should
> "simply" ask the installed help databases for the not found
> identifier, maybe as keyword search. A simple fpdoc database can not
> answer this yet, but lhelp could and Graeme has written yet another help
> database.
>
> There are many possibilities. That's why I put a broad todo.

just providing the same functions as you get when right-clicking ->
"find identifier" in case F1 does not find a specific help (as the
appropriate unit is not included) would be a good start....

-Michael