[Lazarus] comments in source [Re: "show declaration hints" has more power in it than is really used]

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Sat Jul 24 15:59:37 CEST 2010

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:39:01 +0200
Bernd <prof7bit at googlemail.com> wrote:

> or I could just hover my mouse over the identifier and
> have the most useful information in a little hint window.
Don't use the evil M-word when talking about an editor, which is operated via key strokes. :)

> The reason it is not reliable in Lazarus is that comments are not used
> and for some strange reason the programmers find documentation is
> completely useless (for themselves) because everybody is writing only
> for himself and the compiler and for nobody else and accidentally
> reading a block comment above a class definition with detailed
> information that is already known to the programmer (because he once
> wrote it), reading his own writing again would create a distraction so
> big that further programming would become almost impossible.
Can you somehow proof, that you are not Graeme?
No offence ment.

Just relax a bit before writing mails. This is not the place to accuse people that *actually write code* of doing something wrong.
I can understand some of your frustations but other people found their way around the code. The documentation is lacking or not easy to use, but that is pretty standard for an open source project. Just start coding and if you have problems to understand something you can ask on the devel mailing list.
No reason to try to convice everyone on the user list to use your comment style.

Disclaimer: I am not a Lazarus developer just my personal opinion.

R.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?