[Lazarus] Reading a spreadsheet with fpspreadsheet

Koenraad Lelon lazarus1 at de-brouwerij.be
Thu Jul 29 14:50:00 CEST 2010

On 29/07/10 10:19, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Henry Vermaak wrote:
>
>> supporter like Adobe, they can do it to anyone. I can't believe
>> developers take this lying down, either, as I just won't take the risk
>> in spending time and energy developing for a platform where someone
>> can flick a kill switch on my app at any time.
>
> I agree, but we also have to consider other portals or facilitators such
> as Google. I'd also suggest that people such as Apple do have a
> legitimate right to exclude developers and apps which have been proven
> to screw users' appliances.

They can do anything they like with _their_ appstore, as long as they
don't force me to use it.  I've paid for the device, not for the lock-in.

The whole "we are just protecting you from nasty apps" is just the spin
they'd like you to believe.  Unfortunately we all know that Apple
haven't just excluded apps which are bad (if you've been following the
IT news concerning the iPhone).  I believe the biggest reason they've
blocked flash is that it bypasses their appstore by running in the
browser.  There are millions of flash games on the web.  Let's see how
they handle html 5.

> What /is/ the AppStore in this context? It's obviously a repository at
> an address flashed into Apple devices, but does it also sign apps
> validating that they're legitimate?

I really don't know.

Henry