[Lazarus] Installing lazarus on Windows, horror story goes on

Wildfire wildfire at windowsbbs.com
Fri Jul 30 01:49:14 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "José Mejuto" <joshyfun at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Lazarus] Installing lazarus on Windows, horror story goes on

Hello Lazarus-List,

JM> I personally managed to install it. Lucky me :-)
JM> I think I underestimated the difficulty of installation for a
JM> non-programmer.

A non-programmer or system admin (or at least personal system admin)
takes different mental rules about almost everything in a computer
environment (examples):

* Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press
Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key
is.

<snip>

A few years ago I worked for a large internet technical support dept for
business customers. One call I recieved went something like this...

Caller: So what does this super duper line give me that's better than a
normal one.
Me: Instead of 56kb/s you can download up to 2mb/s
Caller: What's download?
Me: Basically retrieving files etc off the internet, your broadband line
could allow it to go around 40 times faster
Caller: Ahh, so you need a computer for that then

Turns out he was cold called from the sales dept and he had broadband
activated withought even having a computer. Fortunatly I was able to cancel
the contract as a mis-sell or he would have been stuck paying £20/month for
18 months.