[Lazarus] Lazarus installation on Mac plus other thoughts

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 31 17:28:58 CEST 2010

Bernd Kreuss schrieb:
> On 31.07.2010 13:44, Martin wrote:

As far as German law is involved...

>> - using a software without license (and I doubt you get a license for
>> IDeneb) is probably not legal anywhere on this world
>
> Ok, I looked at their website and they seem to distribute the whole OSX,
> I initially thought it was just a patch for an existing copy that I
> legally own. Distributing the patched version does indeed violate
> copyright laws. Whether *downloading* it (especially If I already own a
> valid license for OSX) violates the law is another question.

Downloads from not authorized sites are illegal, in detail for software
downloads, for which exists nothing like "Privatkopie".

> For the restriction of on which hardware to use it and where not
> (according to apple's wishes) if you did not explicitely *sign* a
> contract with Apple in which you bind yourself to their usage
> limitations you simply have bought a software license and the only
> restrictions that apply are the default laws about bought software
> licenses.

A download requires an according license, that also may restrict the use
of the downloaded material. §69d UrhG does not normally apply to
downloads (kein Präzedenzfall bekannt).

> They could grant additional rights to you like the GPL and similar
> licenses do but they cannot take away rights that are already given to
> you by the law by simply stating it somewhere. They would require you to
> sign a contract with them to legally bind you to their restrictions.

Contracts must not exist on paper, and they can be accepted without
written consent ("konkludent").

> The same applies to jailbreaking your iPhone and similar things. If it
> is yours (you bought it, its yours, not theirs anymore) you can do with
> it whatever you want.

The owner of a material thing (Eigentümer) still must respect third
party rights (UrhG...).

For strictly local private use the eleventh commandment applies:
"Thou shallst not be found out" (Du sollst Dich nicht erwischen lassen ;-)

DoDi