[Lazarus] Introduce programming competitions

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:50:44 CEST 2010

On 2 June 2010 15:37, Adem wrote:

> -- Will there be some sort of selection commitee?

I guess the community could do the voting themselves. Anybody willing
to quickly put together a Free Pascal based CGI voting app? ;-)  Or we
can piggyback on Lazarus's Forum website which I believe has got a
voting system built-in.

> -- Will there be a restriction of licenses those applications can be
> submitted under?

Well as far as I understand, the initial intention of Borland was to
use it as "educational" for Delphi developers, and obviously raise
some awareness of Delphi features (multi-threading competition comes
to mind) and Delphi itself.  So I would think something that makes it
free for all to see the source code and possibly use that code in
there own works/projects. I don't know if GPL is sufficient (it will
limit commercial use of that code), in which case maybe a BSD style
license should be used. Any suggestions are welcome.

The main point of these competitions should be to educate other
developers in new features or how to accomplish some task - giving
them a nice working example to play with.

  - Graeme -