[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Wed Jun 2 15:51:06 CEST 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
> Hi,
>
> The previous message thread on this topic some weeks ago had lots of
> noise and no clear answer. Though I think it did raise some awareness
> to the problem.
>
> Recently I have seen many Mantis reports regarding GTK1 marked as
> resolved (about 3-5 of mine in the last 7 days) without actually
> fixing those bugs. Many of them were closed with comments goes
> something like this: GTK1 cannot compile anymore and has been marked
> deprecated.

We try to fix compilation bugs as soon as possible.

It has been suspended, meaning patches are welcome, but the current Lazarus
developers won't spend time on fixing gtk1 bugs.

 > Well, if it cannot compile, then why not simply remove the
> GTK1 option from the IDE wigetset list - it is clearly not being
> maintained any more and is broken more often than not.

Some people still want to use it and we accept patches for it.

> For those die-hard developers that must continue to use GTK1 -
> continue using 0.9.28.3 until you can upgrade to GTK2. Life evolves,
> so should your project. But it's rather pointless having a widgetset
> marked "deprecated" (already a good starting point) in the widgetset
> list, when it fact it cannot even be compiled any more.

Why deprive those people of using 0.9.29? We don't break it intentionally, like we
don't break win98 support intentionally.

> I vote to simply remove it completely from the widgetset list. No
> point in having something marked "deprecated" in Beta software either.
> I think the Lazarus project is the first to ever do this (at least
> from all project I have ever seen). :-)

Against.

Vincent