[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:03:10 CEST 2010

Hi!

Am 03.06.2010 07:52, schrieb Rigel Rig:
>   This whole discussion, a waste of time and effort would haven't, if
> not used GTK! I propose to remove GTK1 & 2 of the basic code and have it
> as an additive or widget.

GTK2 is THE widgetset currently in use on Linux. Removing it from the
"core" of the IDE would mean to lose or really, really upset many of the
Linux users (including me).

Also there is no real possibility to make a widgetset "additive" or as
an "extension" (as became clear in the NoGUI discussion some weeks ago).

So there is no real possibility to remove GTK2. But as Paul suggested,
the two GTKs - which are sharing a lot of code - should be split up and
the GTK2 one should be refactored/reworked/improved, so that
maintainence is made easier.

Regards,
Sven