[Lazarus] Getting and building specific versions

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 19:13:35 CEST 2010

Michael Schneider wrote:

> Maybe this helps
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.tour.revs.specifiers.html

Yes, I read that two nights ago. But it says nothing about how you'd get
e.g. the most recently fixed 0.9.26.

However knowing "tags" Google directs me to
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s06.html hence I find that

$ svn ls http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags

gives me a listing of tagged versions from lazarus_0_9_4/ through
lazarus_0_9_28_2/, and similarly

svn ls http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/

gives me a listing of tagged FPC sources from release_2_0_0/ through
release_2_4_0/.

The important point, implied by Graeme but made explicit by the book, is
that a tag is in effect a complete release (i.e. comparable with trunk).

If anybody thinks that I'm misunderstanding something please correct me.

I can see that some of the Lazarus installer files cite specific FPC
versions, but I still can't see anything unambiguous where the
developers say "we're assuming FPC x.y.z". I see there's a minimum
version test in lcl/alllclunits.pp hence

$ svn cat
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_0_9_26_2/lcl/alllclunits.pp
|grep 'At least'

which appears to return a sensible result as far back as 0.9.10.
Vincent, I see your name in this: are you happy with my conclusions?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk