[Lazarus] Decoding USB sniff data

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Thu Jun 3 22:54:31 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 03.06.2010, 23:22 +0300 schrieb Adem:
> What I want to do is this:
>
> I have already sniffed/monitored the exchange between the app and the
> USB device.

May I ask how you did that? I'm searching a usable but not very costly
USB monitoring thingy for Windows(XP).

> I don't really have much idea about what's going on, but I'd like to
> decode (reverse engineer) it first to understand what's what.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers to help me with this.
>
> Then, I'd like to be able to write my own app to initiate and handle
> communication with the device. So, I believe I need some code to locate
> the correct USB device and talk to it.
>
> What do you use for this sort of thing?

For a small controller built using an ATmega64 and the abandoned Philips
PDIUSBD11 I did it on low level. The operating system gives me a raw
device, /dev/ugen0 on FreeBSD, and I have translated a small subset of
the USB headers. These are used to talk to the device sending user
requests implemented by the maker of the small controller board.

I can show some code snippets if you like.

> Second, and worse problem is, it is a lousy piece of $%^&. Looks like
> someone put it together in 20 mins, it's absolutely useless. Cannot even
> export data or produce useful charts.

I have a similar problem with another type of hardware, but the USB
analyzers (hardware) or sniffing software are very comfortable, they do
on the fly protocol decoding and the like, but those have their price.
And this price is amazing. ;)

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>