[Lazarus] Decoding USB sniff data

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Fri Jun 4 00:13:31 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-04 00:52, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I think a lot of open source projects (modems, webcams and so on) rely
> on SniffUsb run on Windows.
I am extremely new to this subject --I have done serial port stuuf, but
that was more than a decade ago.

USB seems quite a bit of different beast.

http://sysnucleus.com/usbtrace_cd_vendor.html

USBTrace, I mentioned in another post, talks about lists about a dozen
'Device Class Decoders' at this URL [ halfway down the page,
http://sysnucleus.com/usbtrace_download.html ] plus how to write a
vendor specific 'Device Class Decoder' [
http://sysnucleus.com/usbtrace_cd_vendor.html ].

If I need to go through all this, before decyphering the actual
information I am after, it seems I have bit more than I can chew ;)
> The problems are going to start when the (Windows) driver contains
> code that has to be downloaded to a microcontroller in the device.
Hmmm.. This device (Contour USB) installs a Java application --claimed
to be usable in Windows, Linux and OSX.

Would you say it is also installing a device driver too?

I think this device is some form of mass storage device; but I am not sure.

How can I tell whether it does install a device driver also --in Windows
platofrm.
> You could always do what I do when reverse-engineering serial comms:
> get the file from the capture device, convert it into text in a
> convenient format, and then massage it using a sequence of Perl filters.
USBTrace seems to be able to help in filtering and/or turning the data
exchange into an organized blurb [it darn well should; for that price.]

--
Cheers,

Adem