[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Jun 4 23:53:10 CEST 2010

On 6/4/2010 06:36, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> Then switch to fpGUI for embedded systems. It works perfectly and is
>> low on resources and small size executables. Plus fpGUI is a lot more
>> modern in looks than GTK1 - and fpGUI is still actively being
>> developed. :)
>
> Yes, it's still being developed- and from elsewhere in the thread it
> appears that it's nowhere near a drop-in replacement for GTK1:

IIUC: this is only because the LCL_fpGUI interface is not complete but someone
has been working on that if i recall what i've read and understood it correctly...

> if it were I'm sure that nobody at all would have any problems switching
> existing projects to use it.
>
> Look, another way of tackling this would be to stop work on fpGUI and
> for everybody to have an all-out push to get both GTK1 and GTK2 reliable
> and with similar levels of functionality for some arbitrary release.
> Then put both GTK1 and 2 onto maintenance-only and get fpGUI up to the
> same level of functionality so that it is a drop-in replacement for
> GTK1. Then start moving forwards again with fpGUI and GTK2.

unless i misunderstand something, once the LCL_fpGUI interface stuff is done,
fpGUI will be a "drop-in" replacement for any of the existing interfaces...
GTK1, GTK2, QT, WIN-whatever, etc...

do i misunderstand that?