[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 01:11:42 CEST 2010

On 5 June 2010 00:54, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> kvetching about the fact that Lazarus's GTK1 support is going downhill
> without making it clear whether he really wants to use it or whether he's

I don't use GTK1 any more, but others want to. So I try and compile
LCL and Lazarus IDE with it every now and then - I do the same think
with Qt (but haven't in a long time).

I understand there is a need for a "light weight"  backend for LCL
(old systems, embedded devices etc), and LCL-GTK1 used to be it. But
GTK1 is not being developer any more, packages for newer distros don't
exist, and LCL-GTK1 is broken more often that it is fixed, so it's
really a dead horse. This is why I originally wanted to introduce
LCL-fpGUI, but quickly found that I simply don't have the time or LCL
internals knowledge to develop fpGUI and develop LCL-fpGUI.  Recently
Joshyfun started working on LCL-fpGUI and managed to complete all the
components on the Standard components palette tab. Hopefully he will
find the energy and time to continue his good work, and maybe others
could chip in and help when they see it progress. I offered to share
my knowledge of fpGUI to help anybody working on LCL-fpGUI.

  - Graeme -