[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Jun 17 17:48:16 CEST 2010

On 6/17/2010 05:18, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On 17 June 2010 10:02, Graeme Geldenhuys<graemeg.lists at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The full fledged Firebird RDBMS is a whopping 12MB install - smaller
>> than most desktop applications. So I would hardly say it's an effort
>> to install - and Firebird is known for its "deploy and forget"
>> installation style. No need for tweaking or other setups (unlike
>> MS-SQL-Server, Oracle, DB2)
>
> It's not about disk space.  It's about having a database server
> running all the time.  Imagine everyone had your attitude, I'd have
> several useless database servers running on my computer.  No thanks.

i tend to agree with you and in your case, i would be wondering why each has its
own database server or why they even need one if it is as useless as you say...
why can't they query to see if there is a database server already installed and
simply create their tables as needed in the existing database??

kinda makes total sense to me but it must be too logical otherwise it would
already have been being done...