[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Jun 17 18:46:09 CEST 2010

On 6/17/2010 11:59, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On 17 June 2010 16:48, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>>
>> i tend to agree with you and in your case, i would be wondering why each has
>> its own database server or why they even need one if it is as useless as you
>> say... why can't they query to see if there is a database server already
>> installed and simply create their tables as needed in the existing
>> database??
>
> Because personal computers don't normally run database servers?

what's the real difference between the two? nothing other than the software
load, really...

> I don't have any software on my pc that requires a database server to be
> installed.  Do you?

i'm sure there is software installed on my workstations that require the use of
a database server, yes... am i aware of what those packages are? likely not
since most people don't go digging behind the scenes to see what is really going
on behind the pretty facade...

i find it rather interesting that you cannot simply copy the bookmarks.html file
from firefox any more to back up or share your bookmarks... why? because they're
stored in a sqlite database, now... before, bookmarks.html was just that... your
bookmarks stored in XML format in a html /text/ file that was easily editable
and sharable with any editor... hell, even edlin can handle it :lol: so... why
the change to a database? to make it harder to get at the data? to make it more
proprietary?

do i have database servers at my location? you betcha i do... several apps i use
and services i offer use the database servers for their needs... one of those
apps is a forum package... another is a recipe database... then there's a photo
gallery and even several personal task management type apps...