[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Fri Jun 18 09:29:10 CEST 2010

En/na Graeme Geldenhuys ha escrit:
> On 17/06/2010, Luca Olivetti  wrote:
>> SQLite allows multiple programs to be connected to the same database
>> simultaneously. The embedded version of Firebird does not. If you run
>
> Well, that sounds like a rather silly argument.

I suppose it depends on the use-case, doesn't it?
In *my* use-case that was a determining factor.

> I thought the whole
> idea of "embedded databases" is to get one application to access one
> database at one time - more convenience too than a flat-file or XML
> file for data storage.

Again, in my use-case, there's a main application, running 24/7
unattended, that accesses the database, then there are some ancillary
applications (running on the same machine, as the same user) that, from
time to time, needs to access the same database (for parametrization,
reporting, etc.).
And since it's an embedded application (even if it's running on an pc) I
didn't want the hassle to set-up a database server.

> Embedded Databases being similar to the idea of
> MS-Access (*.mdb files) - a "desktop database".  If you want a
> multi-user concurrency system, then you upscale to a full fledged
> RDBMS system, or the "big daddy" servers like Firebird, Oracle,
> PostgreSQL, MS-SQL-Server etc.

My system isn't multi-user, high-concurrency and sqlite fits the bill.
Firebird embedded didn't.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007