[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 10:32:10 CEST 2010

On 18 June 2010 03:36, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
>> Exactly, what a joke.
>
> how? it is the same thing that a database does when you update its
> structures...

No, a database file format doesn't change the whole time.  You would
have to adapt your file reading and writing code every time you change
the format.  When you use an embedded database, you won't.

> what will the user think? who says they even have to know about it? i dare
> say that it is easily done during the start-up of the application ;)

You still have to write code for this, where when you're using a
database, you have to write none.

>> Haha, you are looping through every record of all your files?  This is
>> getting hilarious.
>
> you seem to forget that this is the same basic thing that a database server
> does... there's no way around it... someone/thing has to iterate thru all
> the records to locate the matches... sure, maybe this is done via an index
> file... same difference since both sql and pascal can use indexes ;)

Nonsense.  Databases use very sophisticated algorithms.  It will take
you years to try and implement that yourself.  I have databases with
millions of records that I need to query _very_ quickly.  My own
b-tree algorithm didn't cope too well, but why would I re-invent the
wheel.

> ok, ok, ok... so i understand using databases... i've been using them for

You obviously don't if you think you can implement a similar system on
a rainy friday afternoon after you've been to the pub.

Anyway, I'm through with this discussion, signal to noise is just too poor.