[Lazarus] Why was XML format chosen for storing settings in Lazarus IDE?

Jaqui Greenlees jaquigreenlees at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 11:37:37 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought I would pose this question in a new thread seeing that the
> other thread got totally high-jacked (and not by me for a change). :)
>
> I'm curious to know what was the reason behind the decision to use XML
> for storing simple Lazarus settings, instead of the much simpler INI
> format? This is a legit question and I'm very curious as to the
> answer. Please note, this is not a feature request or me telling the
> Lazarus devs to change yet another thing in Lazarus. This is simply me
> asking a question I don't have an answer too.

I wasn't part of the decision making process on it, but I do believe that
the XML format  is a better option despite the lower human readability of
it. if needed it is far simpler to extend the format to handle future
requirements of the project than it would be to get an ini style file to do
the same. In this I mean where he file is being used for more than just a
few configuration settings. This would mean that the XML format is paving
the way for future development(s) that an ini may not support.

Jaqui