[Lazarus] Why was XML format chosen for storing settings in Lazarus IDE?

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Jun 18 15:33:27 CEST 2010

On 18/06/2010 14:08, Alexander Klenin wrote:

>> There is code that read XML via RTTI directly to the object.
>>
> By "there is" do you mean "in the universe" or "in Lazarus sources"?
> In the first case -- of course, I know that, I have written and used
> such code myself.
> In the second -- why it is not used then?

Both, since the Lazarus sources are included in the universe.

EditorOptions.pp => and it is used there.

It is hard to use it for older settings, since often the name of the
values are not the rtti names needed. It is used for some of the newer
setting (e.g. colors)

Also the old code works => so why change it, just for the off-chance to
introduce bugs?

Martin